Insulating dormer room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ladies and gents

Any advice on insulating an old home ? Upstairs is cold despite low ceilings and small rooms. My feeling if its coming from the floorboards ...the beams run into an empty void just above the porch and some roof space on either side of dormer bedroom. You will notice from the pic that dormer bedroom sits above the open porch. Forward from the main part of the building. My question is if I block off the void between all the joists on this floor vertical to the main wall ...will I still get damp ? Answer would be easy and in the affirmative if on the ground but does that still apply to the 1st floor ?
Many thanks all
..stay safe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200323-230323.png
    Screenshot_20200323-230323.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
Sponsored Links
Must admit I am right behind Andy above, loads of access.

What is the soffit [roof] of the porch made from?? is it timber??

Suggest you investigate insulation boards there are a lot of variations in the thicknesses available, fis some up then fit weather proof sheet boards on to the underside of the Insulation??

As for thickness of Insulation?? easy answer is thicker the better, depending on your budget.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys
Have insulated as much as I can from the crawlspace but still cold. The porch roof is plasterboard so easy enough to insulate from below but without any heat in that space how much difference would it make ? I guess should stop the cold ? But then would I need to insulate the roof bit too with kingspan ? My biggest worry is moisture and dampness is it the same for the 1st floor taking into account the porch bit over open space ? I'm guessing some heat from former bedroom might escape into it...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back