Insulation and Vent in loft conversion dormer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have recently had a loft conversion. As far the dormer is concerned, the ceiling goes like this:

Starting from below:

Skim, plasterboard, spotlights, double c16 joist, xtratherm (foil) insulation on top of the joist, 3 layers of hot bitumen felt, vent all along the dormer beneath the fascia board. There is no bathroom extractor fan flap. I can see the foil insulation well above the vent when I look through my bedroom window.

Is this correct?

My concern is that as the vent is continuous (from left to right of dormer) and there is no insulation touching the plasterboard, when the wind is blowing the air gets through the vent and between the insulation and the ceiling which could cause the ceiling to get very cold hence loosing heat and making the rooms cold. Am I right or am I being paranoid?

I see other dormers where there is no open vent, just closed fascia boards top and beneath with an extractor fan flap, why are these different?

Sorry, dont know much about construction....

I am thinking of getting the vent closed, is this wise to do? I read somewhere that air is needed so as no condensation is caused.

Is there anything that can be done so that the rooms dont get cold, that is if the air is causing it... and also stay within the building regulations.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you saying there is a continuous ventilation strip all along thelength of the soffit, if so this is probably correct depending on the design of the roof.

Are you saying there is a continuous ventilation strip all along thelength of the soffit, if so this is probably correct depending on the design of the roof.

Thanks for your reply. My concern is that as the ventilation is continuous and there is no insulation between the ceiling joists and the xtratherm insulation is above the joists, would the air vent cause the room ceiling to become cold hence making the rooms cold.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back