Very Cold Loft Conversion - Freezing cold floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have recently had a loft conversion completed but since winter began, the loft has been getting colder and colder to the point where it is not liveable. The temperature is getting to around 9°C overnight (sometimes worse).

I have opened up a section of the ceiling space along the dormer and found that the builders have constructed a warm roof flat roof but have installed soffit ventilation slots and allowed the cold air to flow in unrestricted between the insulation and ceiling. I have since blocked up the soffit vents and put 100mm of Celotex between the roof insulation and the top of the dormer walls.
Unfortunately this has made little difference to the temperature.

I am now beginning to suspect that the builder have left in place the soffit ventilation used to ventilate the loft before the conversion. The loft floor (laminate for allergies) is extremely cold so it seems like there is a lot of cold air coming in below the floor. Am I correct in assuming that this ventilation channel should have been blocked and the floor space completely sealed from outside air? How would I go about confirming if this is the problem without pulling up the loft flooring? Can I see from the bottom of the sloping roof if the vents are still there?
Any help anyone could provide would be great.
Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
My daughters loft conversion was very cold , she discovered builders failed to insulate correctly , she got them back and after correcting this the loft is now warm .(They also installed under size rad which was rectified )You should have insulation under the floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back