Is it worth cooling a loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During recent hot weather I've noted that the loft space has been reaching temperatures in excess of 50°C. I was wondering if the house would benefit from having a cooler loft space? If so, what might be the optimum way to achieve this?

The house is a 1960's bungalow with the second floor built into the roof. The roof is at a 40° pitch, with approximately 1.5m of loft space above the second floor, and 2m wide lofts to the sides of the second floor. We have cavity wall insulation, a minimum of 300mm of loft insulation on the second floor horizontal ceilings, and 100mm PIR insulation on the small sloped ceilings that follow the roof line. The soffits (effectively at first floor level) are vented, and there is a minimum of 70mm air gap between the roof and any insulation. The insulation and soffits were all installed 7 years ago and we've had no issues with damp or mould since. The roof is original and made of concrete tiles on a felt - the roof is in a very good state considering it's age, although the felt is showing some minor signs of age.

On a windy down there is an obvious draft in any of the loft spaces. For the air to circulate it needs to enter the vented soffit at once side of the house, raise up an over the second floor rooms and back down the other side and out. Generally this seems to work well. However on recent hot days there has been next to no wind, and thus next to no air movement in the loft. As the soffits are a good 3-4m below the apex of the roof and hot air rises, the hot air seems to get trapped in the roof during an evening. Some cooling does occur throughout the night but not enough to bring the loft space down to match outside air temperature.

I'm trying to work out if there would be a summer time cooling benefit to the house by ventilating the loft? Possibly by using vented ridge tiles or air bricks. Or would the insulation already in place mitigate any of the heating effects caused by the body of hot air in the loft? Thus making any expenditure on further venting the loft unbeneficial. Is venting the loft further likely to have a notable negative impact on keeping the house warm during the winter months?

I don't think this question has been covered before on the forum (or, possibly my searching skills are poor), apologies if it has and thank-you for any insights anyone can provide.

Sponsored Links
In hot sunny weather, I cool my house by opening the loft hatch and opening the back door.

Natural convection gives huge airflow. It gushes out through the eaves.

No doubt it reduces the loft temperature as well.

There is still movement with the back door closed and some windows open.

If I was doing it permanently I would need some kind of fire shutter or intumescent grille, as there would be awful firedraught.

The loft is thoroughly insulated, so a hot loft does not heat the rooms below.

Concrete tiles store a lot of heat on a hot day! I can't see how you would have 70mm of clear space in something built in the 60's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back