How to make chalet style bedroom warmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently bought a 1950's house which is sort of 1930's/mock tudor style and the smallest bedroom has a small loft/void behind it that runs the length of the house. The room has a sloped ceiling one side (hence the chalet style comment) which is basically thin wood and then roof tiles with no insulation inbetween. The side of the bedroom with the sloped ceiling and wall (which is not cavity filled or insulated at all) also sits above an internal garage. There are wooden floorboards which are very cold (I doubt there is any insulation under them). This bedroom also has a door to access this 'loft' area which leaks cold air in. The front of the bedroom also overhangs the house below(tudor style) and this is also cold (again, I guess no insulation below the floorboards)

I have tried so far putting the silver insulating rolls under the carpet underlay on top of the floorboards and blocking up some of the gaps in the loft/void where the roof ends by the guttering.
All of this has made no difference at all.

Looking for advice on the following please:

1)How to insulate the roof - have seen xtratherm's rafterlock? or some sort of foam to push up between the wooden ceiling board and the roof?
2) Would it be beneficial to build a stud wall on the other side of the bedroom wall next to the void and insulate this?
3) How to deal with the cold floor - especially where the overhang is.
4) How to deal with the door from the bedroom to the void? Can this be insulated somehow?

Final note is that we are planning to convert the garage into a room which should help with some of the cold issues.

Really hoping for some advice as we are getting desperate for our son to have his bedroom back which at the moment is too bloomin cold to use!
Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back