Insulation under first floor bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my bathroom redone and they have just lifted the floorboards.
There are some areas under the floor that are not insulated so I have asked the builder what kind of insulation he was going to put in and he replied "none, it does not need insulation".
The room below is also a bathroom. Is there indeed no need for insulation?

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't normally insulate between ground and first floors.

I removed all my downstairs ceilings and insulated all of the joists and then double boarded the ceilings.

It is much warmer and quieter from all rooms.

Andy

I removed all my downstairs ceilings and insulated all of the joists and then double boarded the ceilings.

It is much warmer and quieter from all rooms.

Andy

That was my thinking as well. I would expect that insulating the void between floor and plasterboard downstairs would make the rooms downstairs warmer...

Sponsored Links
And the upstairs rooms colder
True... But that's why you have radiators upstairs. The radiators downstairs should heat just the rooms they are in, not the rooms upstairs as well. Otherwise you have the typical situation where downstairs it's freezing and upstairs it's too hot...

I dont agree.

In a standard layout house (notwithstanding a bedroom over an integral garage where you would obviously want insulation between the two) it is not desirable to insulate between downstairs and upstairs.

Your heating system should be balanced accordingly to avoid the situation you describe with a cold downstairs and your loft should be insulated to then trap the heat in. Movement of heat between downstairs and upstairs is desirable in a properly insulated house with a properly balanced central heating system as is some lateral movement of heat between internal walls.

You seem to have come on here looking for someone to affirm your idea when in fact your builder is correct.

I have insulated every void in my house, as mentioned above, I have removed all my downstairs ceilings and insulated every void. The house is quieter and warmer, I have rebalanced all the rads and in doing all of that, my heating bill has gone down. I am ready for the price rise that is coming.

Andy

I suppose people have differing opinions, experiences and house designs.

I've just had a quick Google and plenty of sources state not to and the reasons why but hey-ho each to their own :)

Nothing else to add from me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back