insulation under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

first post on here - but got lots of advice searching the forum so thanks for your help!

We bought a 1960s maisonette a few years ago. During the 1st winter we noticed the front bedroom was quite a bit colder than the other bedrooms but didnt think much of it. It wasnt until i had to lift up some floorboards in the bedroom (having punctured a radiator pipe nailing down the floorboard :oops: ) that i noticed what the problem was.

The bedroom is partially above a small room that houses our boiler. This room is effectively a small 'outhouse' as the only way into it is through an outside door. The door is defnitely not draft proof, and there is no insulation in this room. Therefore any draft going into the room goes straight up into the bedroom! (and any heat from the bedroom escapes!).

So i'm looking at putting some sort of insulation in. I can get access to the floorboards/joists from the downstairs room - so should i suspend loft insulation? (i've read about using garden netting)
does it need to be 100% draft proof to get the benefits?

I've also got some witex combimat left over from another diy project - could i use this to provide more insulation?
and what about moisture - could this cause the timber to rot?

lastly do i need to be careful of the raditor pipes/electrical wires?

thanks in advance
choffer

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back