Floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating an unused 1st floor bedroom and see that I can easily access under the floor boards.
As this bedroom is unlikely to be used in the near future, could I insulate between floorboards and ceiling to make the dining room below hold it's heat for longer.
Have some of that metalized bubble wrap to spare from another project.Perhaps standard loft insulation ?
I recognize the pay back time is poor.

Sponsored Links
Will do no harm, standard loft stuff will be fine. But bear in mind that heat could be keeping your bedrooms a few degs warmer in the winter. Is the dining room particularly cold?

One real benefit will be helping to prevent sound transmission through floors, but only if you use a fluffy type insulation.

Hi DeLuks, ...dining room has concrete floor and faces north. Not particularly cold but anything to reduce the gas bill would help.
My neighbour has suggested the money spent would be better spent in fitting good Cloud9 type underlay, but I don't see it.... at £8 a sq metre.

Is your loft well insulated? If so then your neighbour has a point, the concrete floor will keep the temperature down. I don't know why as I always though that heat rises but modern concrete floors are required to have 90mm of insulation built in, to insulate from the cold ground beneath.

This stuff looks interesting. He has been selling it on eBay for some time now and has lots of posi feedback.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Loft well insulated, house double glazed and well draughtproofed.
Thank you for the link. Can't grumble really, bills not that dear for a 3bed semi. £250 gas and £120 electric. (9800kwh and 1300kwh pa)

archie71 said:
Loft well insulated, house double glazed and well draughtproofed.
Thank you for the link. Can't grumble really, bills not that dear for a 3bed semi. £250 gas and £120 electric. (9800kwh and 1300kwh pa)

Well not much point in insulating first floor unless noise is an issue.

archie71 said:
Hi DeLuks, ...dining room has concrete floor and faces north. Not particularly cold but anything to reduce the gas bill would help.
My neighbour has suggested the money spent would be better spent in fitting good Cloud9 type underlay, but I don't see it.... at £8 a sq metre.

Will do you it at £5 :)

Thank you Matty.....will use joint sealant and existing set up, plus bubble wrap over windows. Aargh !!! can't breath......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back