Insulation ??

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im in the process of buying a house and will have the keys in another 2 weeks. First job on the list is the roof needs replacing.

Its a 3bed semi-detached house, 3rd bedroom and bathroom are both tiny to give you some idea of the size.

How much roughly does it cost to get the roof replaced? (by replaced i mean slates off, new felt, battons and then re-tiled)

Also... what kind of building regs will it need to conform to? like insulation etc?

Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Hello
To strip the existing slate and replace with tiles (Im assuming single lap concrete tiles) as you're suggesting the price is likely to be somewhere between £50 - £60 per m2.
To reslate in 'good' quality Spanish slate around £70 -£80 per m2
To replace with new Welsh slate around £85-£100 per m2
You will be required to insulate to confirm to building regulations this will cost around £18-25 per m2 of laid insulation.
These figure are very approximate and depend greatly on the details of the roof, more detail =more expense.
Scaffold will likely be anywhere from £1000 to £4000 depending on property.
Semi in Cardiff I reckon would be around 70-100 m2?
In Cardiff, try Camelleri Roofing, they should give you a good professional service & advice.
Regards
Jon

If the roof is over a loft with 250mm of insulation on the ceiling, does the roof also need to be insulated?

DIY loft insulation should cost between 50p and £1 per m².

thanks for the info much appreciated. I actually live in Swansea but couldnt find it on the list when i registered so chose cardiff... can you recommend anyone in swansea?

This will be my first renovation so im new to the whole process, could someone tell me how i go about getting the roof replaced (i.e contact a building inspector? when? is this necessary? and what do i need in writing at the end saying its all legit and meets the regs etc for when i come to re-sell?)

I know a good scaffolder so that'll be okay, i guess i'll get a few quotes but now I know what im expecting to be told.

please excuse my ignorance :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I suggest you pop into your local town hall and have a chat with Building Control. They will need to be notified of work on the roof and usually provide Building Inspectors. I've always found my LABC to be ready to help. Building Control should only need 48-hours notice.

Unless you are changing like-for-like, it might be worth chatting to the Planning Department too, so see if they want you to apply for planning permission. They can take months!

well all the upstairs ceilings have damp and i got a friend whos a roofer to have a look in the attic before i bought it and he said it needs replacing. I havent had it surveyed but took a load of people to view it numerous times and the concensus is that its in good shape apart from the roof

We had our roof done two years ago and it cost us £8k. The roofer was able to reuse half of the original tiles and fitted second hand Welsh slates to match and finish. Copper nails were used throughout, all new battens, and silver foil insulation.

Good job and a good price we reckon. He also fitted it around a new stove pipe.

My own job for this year is to build a gabled porch out front so if any of you guys know how fit the lead flashing around the peak and how to insert it into the stone work I'd like to hear. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back