Insultating conservatory floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a conservatory put up and for reasons too complicated to go into it has a suspended timber floor and it is not insulated. Obviously we know insulating a conservatory is going to be difficult, especially one like ours with no walls -ie. the upvc panels go right down to the floor, but I figure every little helps so I'd like to install some insulation in the floor. The builder built two skins of blockwork with a 50mm cavity up to the base of the conservatory frame and laid the floor joists onto the inner skin and put a block between the joists at each end. I intend to install Celotex/Kingspan type insulation boards between the joists but i'm a little confused about what to do around the perimeter? The cavity and the void beneath the floor is vented from outside to prevent damp but how do i insulate/close off the cavity at the top where the floor boarding is laid? Surely no matter how much insulation i put between the joists in the middle of the room, there's going to be a 50mm strip around the perimeter of the room which is cold and/or has a draught coming up from the cold air in the cavity directly below?

Any advice is much appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody. I have used expanding foam in the past, but not much and never for a gap as wide as 50mm. How would i stop it all falling to the bottom of the cavity when i spray it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back