insulating a floor/con`y?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all me again :D

Now as i am on a budget i am considering going with a joist floor in the conservatory (can save over £100 doing this than concrete) , but ,as always theres a but, what would you suggest for insulating the floor, if its worth it also?
I am going single skin dwarf wall ( lots do this and it was built on a single when i got it) and insulating this by battens and 50mm insulation of no decision yet? then clad with plaster board and skimmed, and as with most con`ys its glass, some say there is no need to over insulate a cony as most heat escapes through the windows anyway.

So

what floor insulation?
Is it woth it?
Best wall insulation on single skin?

Thanks for any help folk`s :D

wayne :D

Sponsored Links
50mm celotex etc will sort the walls.
Between joists use min 80mm polystyrene sheets or loft insulation suspended on chicken wire.
(over ordered loft insulation cheap as chips on eBay ;) )

True about not going mad with the inso, but some better than none just to keep the floor and walls from being cold to the touch.

Don't forget airbricks, preferably on 2 sides. And don't block up any existing ones whilst building.

50mm celotex etc will sort the walls.
Between joists use min 80mm polystyrene sheets or loft insulation suspended on chicken wire.
(over ordered loft insulation cheap as chips on eBay ;) )

True about not going mad with the inso, but some better than none just to keep the floor and walls from being cold to the touch.

Don't forget airbricks, preferably on 2 sides. And don't block up any existing ones whilst building.

Thanks kida

I did the chicken wire job on a boat once, many moons ago and sworn never to do it again, to much messing about when you can use small battens to the joist sides, i was going to try 50mm polystyrene but now i will go to 80mm or there abouts.

There is one air brick in the house wall that is in the way of the new cony, i think i will need to add a new one.

There is no saving as far as i can tell.

All the fuss regards fitting a suspended floor is vastly outweighed by the simplicity and versatility of a solid concrete fella any day.

Sponsored Links
I decided to concrete the floor so it was done today in the con`y and insulated under the concrete with 50mm polystyerene, now after this i would like the floor to be around another 40mm higher.

So the big Q is.

Is there any reason i cant fit 25mm batten, add 25mm polystytrene and then loft chipboard type boarding then laminate the floor?

thanks wayne :D

I have buil the cony walls now and sat here thinking about the insulation still, not at the point to do it yet so just wondering.
I have used reclaimed brick and as it was my first bricklaying job the inner surface isnt exactly as flat as the out side, its good but....

Now i was thinking if i used polystyrene or celutex etc it mite leave a bigger cavity beteen the insulation and wall or cladding (plasterboard).

If i tight packed in a rockwool to take up the air pockets then use a bubble wrap insulation of 6mm with foil back on the inside face would this be ok from damp/condensation?

thanks wayne

Is there any reason i cant fit 25mm batten, add 25mm polystytrene and then loft chipboard type boarding then laminate the floor?

thanks wayne :D

Skip the batten and just use 50mm insulation.

As the solid floor is insulated, I'd not bother with more insulation. It will only reduce the effective thermal mass and make con'y hotter in the sun and colder at night. Also, to qualify as a conservatory, it has to have so much glass that insulating the floor and walls won't make a huge difference.

Rather than chipboard, which could fall apart if it gets wet, and separate flooring, you could just go for wooden floorboards. You then have a choice of stains and either varnish or Danish Oil.

So if i can do away with the wall insulation could i just plaster the walls?, with out any damp/condensation worrys?
Plastering the wall is what i was after i the first place realy, as you say ajrobb that there isnt much use in over insulating a cony.

The floor will be just carpetd now over the concrete as it is nice and smooth, but in the future if need be i will do something with it.

So if i can do away with the wall insulation could i just plaster the walls?, with out any damp/condensation worrys?
You might need some insulation and a vapour proof layer to prevent condensation. Some alternatives:
  • at least 20mm Celotex/Kingspan
    40mm of expanded polystyrene. PVC wiring must not touch expanded polystyrene
    50mm of mineral wool with separate VPL (duplex plasterboard, polythene, drywall sealer or acrylic paint).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back