insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

A quick question.

I am having an extension put on my house. Basically it is taking out the rear 2/3 of the wall (supporting a further 2 stories). I have requested the insurance detail from the builder, the indemnity description states 'groundworking' only. Based on what I have read/various quotes, the major element of this build is actually the groundwork/steel element that supports the upper floors. Do you think that this level of insurance covers this type of work?

I will look into this further of course, It would be good to get an initial idea....

Many thanks,

Tony

Sponsored Links
tone123 good evening.

I do not think that this builders insurance will give any cover at all for work other than excavating holes in the ground and Concrete foundations and ground floor Concrete.

What you need to see is some sort of Insurance cover for general building work, not just ground work, for example, a wee bit tongue in cheek, but if say a gas Safe engineer were to offer to undertake the building work, but his insurance was only for trading as a gas fitter?? the is all goes west with the gas man undertaking general building? you are on your own, the reverse happens if a general builder tries to fix your Central heating apart from the legal technicalities, No insurer would provide indemnity?

I have a funny feeling that calling himself a "Ground Worker" would be cheaper to obtain than the cost of a general builders insurance quote? in the overall scheme of things the ground workers insurance will be a load cheaper than other Building tradesman's Insurance? problem is that when investigated by an insurer after a claim is intimated and the builder is operating outwith the remit of the Policy then to put is bluntly, No Cover under the terms and conditions of the Policy [Specific Exclusions clauses]

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back