Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need to some serious help with this;

We purchased our property a couple of years back with three extensions

1x Rear single floor
1 x Front single floor
&
1 x Side - two floors - Which contains upstairs a bedroom, ensuite and downstairs a study and garage.

We are now looking at converting the garage into another room, however it has been brought to our attention that the garage and the study (downstairs) are only single skinned walls with intermittant pillars, yet the walls above within the ensuite and bedroom are double skinned i.e have a block cavity wall, with an outer single brick wall.

According to the plans there is a steel which has been placed across to support the upper cavity block wall, however upon looking up through the garage ceiling, only a wooden beam can be seen which is flush against the garage single skinned wall i.e. it would not be in-line which the cavity block wall above if it was supporting.?

These extension are all over ten years old and have had planning approval granted albeit that we have no building control certificates and there is indemnity insurance covering the works.

As you can imagine I have a copuple of questions:

1) Is it likely that although I cannot see the steel, that it is there and a wooden timber has been placed across for some other reason?
2) If we pursue with planning permission to convert the garage are the inspectors likely to want to check this element?
3) If this is the case and remedial works are required, can this be enforced?
4) If enforced is it likely that indeminity insurance will not pay out as we have approached the planning dept, albeit regarding new works within existing works?

As you will probably note I’m a novice on this subject.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Is it likely that although I cannot see the steel, that it is there and a wooden timber has been placed across for some other reason?

You wont know unless you investigate

2) If we pursue with planning permission to convert the garage are the inspectors likely to want to check this element?

No

3) If this is the case and remedial works are required, can this be enforced?

Ultimately yes, but unlikely unless a significant structural issue likely to collapse

4) If enforced is it likely that indeminity insurance will not pay out as we have approached the planning dept, albeit regarding new works within existing works?

Check your T&C, but this normally relates to you approaching the council specifically to check the insured items

Thanks Woody for the advice..

2) Does the Single Skin element pose us any problems in terms of planning or approval, providing a cavity wall is installed and the proper damp course etc?

3) No signs of any movement/cracks fortuantely...Has it ever been the norm that timber would be used instead of steel to support a cavity wall on the 1st floor? This was built in 85'

4) Thanks- The T & C's state the insurers are not liable if enforcement results due to new works proposed or actual that 'affect' the existing works...... I guess the interpretation is whether the garage conversion 'affects' the existing works or not, I suspect the former?

Thanks again for your assistance.

You seem to be getting Planning and Building Control confused. Planning won't give a hoot about the construction methods employed. It is Building control who will be interested in the construction.

Its not normal to use timber instead of steel but it can be done, what do you think they used for thousands of years before steel lintels were readily available (apart from stone lintels before the smartarses get it)?

Sponsored Links
You're right... getting confused between the two...

OK would building control have an issue that we are converting a single skin garage into a room providing the adequate insulation,block work is installed etc. Anything else we should consider doing initially?

Good point on the timber as well...I just wondered whether this would likley to be contrary to building regs back in 85', that's 1985?

Cheers :D

You're right... getting confused between the two...

OK would building control have an issue that we are converting a single skin garage into a room providing the adequate insulation,block work is installed etc. Anything else we should consider doing initially?

Good point on the timber as well...I just wondered whether this would likley to be contrary to building regs back in 85', that's 1985?

Cheers :D

I'm planning on also converting my single garage (single skin brick wall) into another room. One side of my garage is attached to the house so one side is double skin breeze block.

So far I have found out that you will need to meet with the current building regs. When applying you can go the "full plan" route (drawings have to be sent in along with details of things you want to do) they then check through it all and if happy give you the go ahead. Basically you then work to you plan knowing they have approved everything before hand.

Or, you can go the "building notice" route, which you simply send in info of what you want to do and can then start work within 48 hours. They will then do checks every now and then but you run the risk of not doing something correct and have to do something again.

This does depend if your doing it yourself or a builder, if building it yourself you need to make sure certain things are correct e.g. if your blocking up the garage door with a wall/window are foundations required, there are also certain requirements for insulation values.

If using a builder (who should know the regs, in theory!) or your up to speed with the regs yourself, then you could just stick in a building notice application and get on with it. But, as I say they wouldn't have pre-approved anything so you could go sticking a wall up or something only to find out they want to check foundations etc and have to pull it down again.

Not sure if this helps you at all but thought I would just give the info I have picked up so far.

Building control are basically going to be interested in three things .. that the structure is sound and wont fall/burn down, that the inside is kept free from damp, and that the room is well insulated.

Having a single wall is not an issue as there are ways to meet the three main b/c concerns and you don't need this to be a cavity wall

It would be unusual for your upper blockwork to be built off timber - there would likely be seasonal movement which may cause cracks to the blockwork - but it may be timber and you need to investigate. If it is timber, again as long as it is sound and remains protected, then it should not be a b/c concern

In any case you will need to remove any ceiling and insulate between the conversion and room above. At that stage you should have a proper look at the beam and if it is not satisfactory, then that would be the time to sort it out - whether the BCO says so or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back