Intalling equipment in ceiling void\under the floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I have an upstairs cupboard with a false floor that can be removed to reveal a large void where the alcove in the kitchen has a lower ceiling due to some steels that support the floor joists above.

This seems like an ideal place as a install some electrical bits and bobs to keep out of sight in the house, e.g. alarm panel, network patch panel, router, Loft box for TV\radio antennas, maybe the CCTV DVR, LED strip light transformer, CCTV, maybe a 12V UPS for the alarm etc.

Is this a sensible thing to do, or might this pose a fire hazard?
Are power sockets even allowed under the floor?
Should I box of the joist voids, or might free flow here allow extra ventilation for cooling?
Can it all be connected to a smoke detector to disconnect all the power in the event of smoldering?(I've seen these smoke detector isolation extention leads for use with fridges)

The void already has the lighting circuit junction boxes and I am told that the false floor cannot be fixed down or finished as these must remain accessible.

I was hoping to put all this in the loft(cold loft, open at the eves and ridge), but it gets really hot in the summer so probably not good for electrical equipment.

My other choice is in the top section of the upstairs cupboard, which would be easier to ventilate by leaving the door open.

Any advice gratefully received, especially if you have experience of installing these kind of systems in a small space, or know the regulations\house insurance problems and what is best practice.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Fire hazard - no more so there than any other place. If something sets on fire inside your house, it will cause extensive damage regardless of where it is.
No particular regulations about socket locations, as they will be accessible then not a problem.
Additional ventilation would probably be desirable compared to sealing it off.
A smoke detector and cutoff arrangement could be implemented, but seems rather excessive. Not really any different from installing the equipment in a normal cupboard or under the stairs etc.

Lofts are generally poor choices for electrical equipment due to the huge variations in temperature and humidity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back