Integrated cooker hood - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New kitchen being done at the moment - we are having a traditional range cooker (induction) 110cms built into an alcove. I have seen lots of traditional kitchens like this but I can understand what extractor I will need for this.

I have searched for built in cooker hood and integrated cooker hood but it seems very limited and only 60cms wide.

It will not be seen as it will be built in to the ceiling of the alcove so I need something where the controls are on the underside of the extractor. What do I need to be looking for?

Also - do you have to get an extractor to match the size of the oven? For example can I get away with a 60cm extractor or need 90cms?

The size of the room is 6.5 x 5.2 x 2.2m

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link.

Wow! They cost a fortune, had no idea extractors were so expensive - I was expecting to pay £200-300, I may have to rethink!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies.

We are fitting the kitchen ourselves (hubby is a joiner so he has made our kitchen)

Just finding this extraction bit a little tricky. The oven we are buying comes with a half price 110cm cooker hood (the chimney type, works out about £140) so im thinking I might just box around it - it will be ducted to the outside so assuming there will be no problems with heat etc.

How important is the volume of the room/picking the right size. We don't intend to actually use the cooker hood very much, we just want the lighting from it and 'tick the box' for building regs. Our regs say we need an extractor that is 30l/s but all the sales spec just mention cubic meters.

30 litres/sec=0.03 cubic metres/sec soo that is 1.8 cubic metres/ min.. Your kitchen is approx 60 cubic metres which means you are going to have a complete air change in approx. half an hour at 30 l/sec. I'm not sure if the extraction rate of your hood is adequate but you can work it out from the first figure. You also have to bare in mind that a cooker hood is intended to remove cooking smells & steam from the hob area not necessarily vent the entire room. Although it may well do.

Thanks - that's really helpful.

Our cooker hood says it extracts 460 (m3/h) so I assuming that is enough to clear out the 60m3 in enough time?

I've just remembered that we also have external ventilation (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-VENT-RYTONS-125MM-LOOKRYT-WITH-CONTROLLABLE-INTERNAL-PANEL-AC10HP-/281052615711?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&var=&hash=item41700a941f) for our log burner that is also in the kitchen. I wonder if this contributes to the building regs venitaltion needed for the room?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The product you have linked to simply allows air to be drawn into the house to replenish the air burnt by the wood burner. If your building regs state you have to have extra forced mechanical extraction then that is what a fan will do & the extractor will more than cope with that. However usually when forced mechanical ventilation is required, & too be honest I've never heard of it being a stipulation for a kitchen, then it has to happen automatically for example be connected to a light that has to be switched on when you enter a room with no windows. I think there may be some confusion as to what your paper work is telling you, as normally as long as you have a window that can be opened there is no requirement for forced ventilation in a kitchen. Perhaps you should clarify it with your building control dept.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back