Interal door edgeing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've just found this site, but i wish i had found it months ago and i would have saved a fortune!!!!

Im nearly finished dec. my first home but my latest problem is a bought two internal glazed hardwood doors and had two cut off more than the hardwood finished edges, im now left with patchy cheap wood around the edges of my doors, ive been told you can get some sort of tape (35mm) you iron in but cant find it anywhere? Ive tried all the big boys like jewson, hewden b&Q etc. Any suggestions??

cheers in advance!

allan

Sponsored Links
allanlaw said:
....my latest problem is a bought two internal glazed hardwood doors and had two cut off more than the hardwood finished edges, im now left with patchy cheap wood around the edges of my doors, ive been told you can get some sort of tape (35mm) you iron in but cant find it anywhere?

Hmmmm sounds like your doors are more likely veneer- or plywood-faced and lipped chipboard (like most fire doors). In any case you won't find many firms doing iron on edging wider than 22mm, mainly because MFC (melamine-faced chipboard) used for kitchen cabinets generally is used in 18 or 15mm thicknesses. The only way I can think to edge doors like yours is to get flat "beading", i.e. 40mm x 4mm hardwood lippings, glue these on then trim with a good sharp hand plane. Oh, and B&Q do sell these. Use a good exterior grade PVA glue and tape the lippings in place tightly with masking tape while the glue sets (24 hours)

Scrit

just to add to what scrit has said
i am assuming you have taken the door down to the correct size!!!!!
without allowance for the edging sou youll need to remove another 6mm[3mm each side or 6mm one side] before you affix the edging otherwise your likely to break through again and have to re-edge :D :D :D

how much did you remove!! if its more than about 20mm your door lock is likely to be near to breaking through to the glass so drill with care
and iff you have taken off to much youll need to source a smaller lock

Sponsored Links
Scrit said:
You'ra all fun, BA ;) Merry Christmas!

Scrit

i know i can't help it :D :D :D

the thought of him drilling into the glass and breaking it and having to visit b & q twice in the same year----------------

well i just could'nt punish the man like that especialy when he has the same first name as me :D :D :D ;)

oooooo and happy x mass and a merry new year :p ;)

Yes, they are veneer doors, ill need to look into these trims in B&Q, the only problem is my locks and handles are now on and i dont think my joiner (who is the faither) would be to impressed if i told him i need to change them and cut off another 6mm.

cheers for your replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back