Interesting or strange places you have worked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the most interesting or strange and weird places any of you have worked at ? I'll share some stories if you do :)

Sponsored Links
Glaxo at "ware".. animal testing laboratory.. installing a sample transit tube system...

various hospitals, mainly in the roof spaces and underground tunnels.. :eek: ( again, sample transit tube systems.. "as seen on Casualty"... I made those.. or helped anyway.. :) )

several sewerage sites servicing / fixing / installing the machines.. ( stood in "the flow" about an inch below the tops of my wellies... one good advert break and I was in trouble.. :eek: )

Best
goldsmiths hall london where they hallmark the gold,
Place in loughton where they burn the old banknotes,
Changed batten holder in flat owned by Richard wilson/victor meldrew.
Page 3 models flat in docklands (She was out unfortunately)

Worst
Flushing system for the Toilets in tesco
Lights in pub toilets

Ok ones:
Belle Tout Lighthouse on the south coast, where 'lives and loves of a she devil was filmed' and they also moved the whole building back on rails a few years ago to stop it falling into the sea.

In a lift shaft in the Brighton Centre and Barry Manilow was rehearsing for his show that night and we got stopped working cos apparently Barry couldnt hear himself sing but personally I reckon the racket we was making was better than the one he was making. :eek: :D

On the Grand hotel in Brighton after it was bombed by the IRA in the 80's, nice steady job.

Numerous sea walls on the south coast drilling 4 - 6 metre deep holes to reinforce the walls, nice views in the summer. :)

Working on the fallout bunkers under the M.O.D. building in Whitehall , London, with tunnels going off all over the place under Downing Street etc. then 2 years later the Berlin wall came down and the bunker was out of a job but then got used for other things as far as I know.

Dover docks, working on the berthing buffers where the ferries come in and we had to work with the tide, working from a platform which was bolted to the side of the concrete structure and was only accessible at low tide, our gear brought to us on a boat-2 shifts every 12 hours but only about 2 hours a shift. :D

Carlsberg factory in Northampton the late 70's, used to get free bottles of Carlsberg in the lunch break. :)

Not so good ones:

Dungeness B nuclear power station in Kent --god forsaken place,if I never see it again it will be too soon. :mad:

On top of one of the ovens in a crematorium, working on the chimney, scaffolded off the top of the oven, chimney and bricks still warm from its days work :eek: and a very spooky place to be walking around at night cos we did a continuous day/night /day shift until job was finished.

Numerous sewage treatment works. :cry:

Lots of storm sewers big enough to stand up in and the guys overseeing the job would say to keep coming up and checking the weather cos if we have a downpour you need to get out quick! :eek:

Sponsored Links
On a powdered milk processing plant in the middle of nigeria. Interesting 6 weeks of my life thats for sure. Best was a small place called newcastle west near limerick in ireland. really quiet little town until 11 oclock and the place went crazy

Best - Flat in Covent Garden for a month away
Worst - Pub toilets/some council houses/bedsits
Most interesting - Doing a boiler swap in a bedsit with a russian lady in her late thirties watching me with her dressing gown on but half open drinking Vodka offering me the obvious, a cup of tea. ;)

What are the most interesting or strange and weird places any of you have worked at ?
The old Rochford fire station which we converted into a house, all made of timber and even the nails are square not like a wedge shape as a cut nails. We also left the fireman pole in the middle of the lounge. it's a very small building.

one firm i worked for...

used to drive to a meeting point, get into a helicopter fly to the jobs.

can say no more.

BARRS soft drinks factory after it was just built, as a plumbing apprentice we were in doing the 2nd fix/finishings while production was going on, my job at lunchtime was to go along to the production line and bring a couple of crates of unlabeled juice back to our bothy, this was allowed and went on for weeks and weeks, the only stipulation was that i had to take all the bottles back and we were threatened with the sac if we tried to take the bottles out, something to do with VAT or licencing etc, the actual soft drink was almost worthless but after it was labelled etc it was VAT liable, it was a dream 16years old free juice and got to be chatted up by the lovely girls on the production line, when i thik about it now it was great but a group of girls together with a 16 year old, i was never a match for them and they tok great delight in embarrasing me

Nearly did a full install in a house of illrepute, a proper Cynthia Payne set-up, until her in doors found out and put the kybosh on that on.

Blimey...

Sultan of Dubai London house
Lord Forte's London house
The Ritz
The Savoy
Grosvenor House
Bell helicopters
Sikorsky helicopters
Buckingham palace (quote only)
Several mod sites
All london airports (a bloody pain!)
Numerous morgues
Villeroy & Boch
Tiger Aspect TV productions
BBC

There's more, but I'm too tired to remember!

G.

In a test laboratory at Boeing, and the forward and aft electronics bays of an as-yet-to-certified 777 when on the tarmac.

Sponsored Links
Back