Interference on recorder

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watching a recorded programme on the hard disc of my Panasonic BluRay recorder, I find quite frequent break-ups or 'interference' on the picture. These are short (fraction of a second) fuzzy lines across the picture with a short 'fizzing' sound at the same time.

If I rewind a few seconds and replay the same passage, the interference is gone, so I assume it is not a duff section on the hard disc.

The problem also occurs sometimes when watching a live programme via the recorder's tuners.

I checked all connections (aerial, HDMI, mains) and that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any ideas, please, anyone?

Sponsored Links
Possibly some electrical interference? I have seen this when the boilers kick in, light switches used, electric heaters kick in etc.... I had an issue with a treadmill causing static etc... on my media system so took a punt on a electrical filter extension which solved my issue. maybe worth a shot for you? Try to pay attention next time it happens and see if you can notice anything switching on/off.

Link to what I purchased:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electron...8&qid=1489051270&sr=1-1&keywords=mains+filter

Thanks Omega. That makes a lot of sense.

The thing is that it is only recently that it has started happening, and I'm racking my brains to think of anything we've added that could account for it. On the other hand, it could be an existing appliance that's going west, I suppose.

Yes, I'll watch out when it next happens. Perhaps the fridge-freezer?

If you do manage to find out what might be causing the issue then it might be worth investigating that a little bit as it could be signs of an up and coming fault, end of life or it could be something as simple as a lose connection. Although it could be just that your equipment has become a little more sensitive to interference. If you cant find the issue its possible the neighbours have something new that could be interfering also, that might be more trickier to track down although if the filter works then its not too much of an issue.

Sponsored Links
Well, I can't pinpoint it to anything, I'm afraid. It has been OK all evening and if it had been the fridge (as these switch on and off quite frequently) I would have seen it.

I remember hearing publicised warnings in the recent past of possible interference due to new higher frequency mobile phone masts. I remember that it is possible to obtain a filter to be fitted between the aerial cable and the aerial input socket. I really don't know whether this could be the cause, though, as I have no idea what the consequent interference would look like.

Watching a recorded programme on the hard disc of my Panasonic BluRay recorder, I find quite frequent break-ups or 'interference' on the picture. These are short (fraction of a second) fuzzy lines across the picture with a short 'fizzing' sound at the same time.

If I rewind a few seconds and replay the same passage, the interference is gone, so I assume it is not a duff section on the hard disc.

The problem also occurs sometimes when watching a live programme via the recorder's tuners.

I checked all connections (aerial, HDMI, mains) and that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any ideas, please, anyone?
Since you wrote "If I rewind a few seconds and replay the same passage, the interference is gone" you are quite correct in that "it is not a duff section on the hard disc."
You also wrote "The problem also occurs sometimes when watching a live programme via the recorder's tuners." (which seems to imply that it does not occur if you are watching a live program off air on the TV itself.)
To me, this seems to indicate a "loose" HDMI connection between the recorder and the TV.
Any HDMI connection is NOT just a simple electrical connection. With a HDMI connection, both the TV and the sending device must "establish" the connection, decide the "protocol" involved (and other things) before the picture can appear.
Hence, if any HDMI connection is "loose", when reconnected the connection must be "re-established" , which takes time and may appear as a "drop-out".

If you have a number of HDMI connections via a "switcher", a loose connection problem with any of them (even if you are not watching that device at the time) may cause a problem with the connection which you are watching.

Thanks for that, Frodo. Very enlightening. I shall certainly check all HDMI connections.

Actually the HDMI lead from that recorder (and my other one) go to a Sony sound system and thence to the telly, so I'm going to have to pull the television and recorders (on the large stand) forward a couple of feet or so and have a good look at the dust-covered collection of cables and sub woofer behind. I'm not looking forward to that, as my wife will make me clean up all the dust whilst I'm at it.

When I get round to it, I'll be sure to let you know if you have hit the nail on the head.

Well, I finally got round to checking the connections and, having disconnected and re-connected all HDMI cables the problem doesn't seem to be happening any more. Keeping fingers and everything else crossed.

Thanks again, Frodo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back