interior bare brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am renovating my flat and need some assistance. I have removed the plaster coating of a large expanse of wall internally and have cleaned the brick and have repointed wall. I intend to keep the brick wall exposed but am having difficulty finding advice with regards to how to seal the wall.
I have been told that many people seal their internal bare brick walls with a diluted PVA glue solution, but have since been advised that this will start to crack and peel in time, particularly as there are two radiators on the wall in question. I was also advised by one small DIY shop to use a Ronseal brick sealant but found that this would be unsafe after phoning the Ronseal helpline advertised on the tin. It had specified on the tin 'for external use only'. Apparently if I has used this, myself and family would have suffered brain damage over time due to the toxic fumes (!).
Are there any products that anyone could to recommend that will seal the brickwall to elimanate dust, yet remain breathable so that any trapped water vapour can escape, and give a matt finish, and is safe to use on an interior wall? I've spent hours on the net but just can't seem to get any definitive answers. I've called all the local DIY super stores, but have yet to get any helpful answers.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello!

I am thinking about doing a similar exercise in my kitchen. I was planning to use stone tile sealer. Its designed to go on to natural tiles to seal them from water and dirt. Its often used on natural tiled floors as well. You should be able to get it from any good tile shop although it is quite deal (around £20 for a bottle not sure of the coverage).

Hope this help!

Sponsored Links
I have used thinned down oil based matt varnish...or satin if you want a bit of a sheen.

PVA wont work in the long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back