Interior Door in a Deep Wall - Advice Greatly Appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

In the house I moved into recently the previous occupants converted the garage into another living area.

However there is now no door between the new living area and the kitchen.

If you look at the photo below, you will see how deep the wall is between the two rooms.

Note also, the threshold where the carpet and laminate meet inside the recess.

I would like to put a door in here, but I don't know what the best practice would be as to it's position.

1) Can a door be placed inside the recess where the carpet and laminate meet?
2) If not, is it best to have the door on the kitchen side or the living room side?

I'm about to get the carpet replaced very soon so I want to know where to take the carpet edge to.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
... there is now no door between the new living area and the kitchen.

I would like to put a door in here, but I don't know what the best practice would be as to it's position.

1) Can a door be placed inside the recess where the carpet and laminate meet?
Yes, although it will probably need a rebated door frame as opposed to a casing and it will be slightly more awkard to fit and get the door hung. You'll also need to fit a door stop on the floor to prevent the door from being opened and slammed back into the plasterwork around the opening. TBH that doesn't look too bad

.2) If not, is it best to have the door on the kitchen side or the living room side?
If you go that way, then on the side into which it will open, i.e. the bedroom in this case

I'm about to get the carpet replaced very soon so I want to know where to take the carpet edge to.
I'd recommend that you get the door frame in first, Dr. Cooper ;)

or if your flush with money go for a pocket door,if your skint like me go for a sliding door . :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back