Upvc door installed on a carpet threshold?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of laying some hardboard for vinyl flooring, now the only thing that is stopping me completing the job is a carpet threshold....sounds bizarre i know! It seems when the new Upvc door was install they sort it fit at the time to install in on top of this thresh hold.
I have tried allsorts to get it out, but i seem to be losing the battle and the only way i could think of removing it would damage the skirting board either side.

The threshold seems to be screwed to the floor, but is lifted slightly in one corner. On a cold day when the stone steps outside are wet the threshold either leaks water or the cold is condensing on the metal inside the house. I would love to remove it but i do not know where to start. Between the door and the threshold is a plastic strip that finishes the door.

I am in need of ALOT of help on this one folks. :confused:

Mandy

Sponsored Links
Whats the floor wood or concrete? are you talking about the spiked aluminum carpet metals that hold the carpet down? these are usually nailed with shank nails on wood floors and Obo nails in concrete... ocasionally they can also get a squirt of gripfill on them if the floor is concrete which will make life harder...

If its conc I would break away the floor around it and drag it out.. the make good the floor with sand and cement?

Whats the floor wood or concrete? are you talking about the spiked aluminum carpet metals that hold the carpet down? these are usually nailed with shank nails on wood floors and Obo nails in concrete... ocasionally they can also get a squirt of gripfill on them if the floor is concrete which will make life harder...

If its conc I would break away the floor around it and drag it out.. the make good the floor with sand and cement?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the floor is basically wooden floor boards. The threshold is either one that someone has improvised or a very ancient version of one. It doesn't have spikes on the underside, well not that i can see or feel, but is screwed/nailed down with some kind of fixture to the wooden floor boards bizarrely enough. Put it this way i have never seen a carpet threshold like this before... :confused:

Mandy

Sponsored Links
Hmmm sounds like a cover strip... this will have 1" -ish screws holding it down....

This will probably mean brute force and ignorance to get it out :( and boy can those buggas hold tight... try getting an old chisel under it and chop through the screws...

Once its out make good with a nice fillet of wood and point up from the outside too..

Any chance of getting a picture of it?

Geeba";p="2652676 said:
Hmmm sounds like a cover strip... this will have 1" -ish screws holding it down....

This will probably mean brute force and ignorance to get it out :( and boy can those buggas hold tight... try getting an old chisel under it and chop through the screws...

Once its out make good with a nice fillet of wood and point up from the outside too..

Hi,

I will see if i can find an old wood chisel roaming around.

The strip itself is only backing on to the outside step so i do not think there will be any pointing needed....well hopefully. I think this is what is creating part of the problem to be honest. As when the step outside gets wet or when it is freezing cold the moisture condenses on the metal strip and the water pools on the inside.....due to the metal strip being backed against the stone steps. I have loaded a picture .

Mandy View media item 55683186160/55683_28818981.jpg[/net]

I would get my recipricating saw out with a long flexible metal blade to cut the screws, but if you do not have one of them, then you can get a blade that fits a stanley and do it manually.

Yeah that looks like its going to be a nightmare to get out... I hope they haven't put a frame fixing through the bottom of the door too... that would make it even tougher... but yes you definitely need to get rid of that or it will rot the floor boards out....

I can only suggest a chisel and brute force really...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back