Interior led's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the interior map reading lights on my mazda 3 to led's they are there a few months but today i noticed that the bulbs dont go completely off when i lock the car they are still slightly on even after a few hours, any one offer any help please?

Sponsored Links
I would think its a very small leakage current across the switch, might even be due to dampness. You could try a hair dryer on the switch?

Sponsored Links
The control switch for the light, or does it know when to turn itself on?

The switch is set to turn on when the door opens and go off when you start the car?

Apologies, I thought you said map reading light. Its the control circuit not turning fully off due to leakage current. The current is adequate to make the LED's glow, but would not turn the bulb on.

The output stage in the control circuit is probably a transistor and for convenience (cheaper) not pulled fully off by the control circuit.

Mursal is this safe, or do i need to get it looked at?

LED's use a very small ammount of current and as already mentioned, leakage across the switch could cause them to glow dimly, the ammount of power used will be very small so its unlikely to run your battery down unless the car is not used for some time.

Peter

its also possible they are not compatable with the cars electrical system especially if it has the lamp monitoring/warning system.

Mursal is this safe, or do i need to get it looked at?

If you are unhappy with the LED's glowing, pop the original bulb back in. Put a filter over the bulb or buy a special if you want a specific ambient colour. Or just live with the leakage through the non standard LED's.

Im not unhappy with the led glowing just unhappy that it will not go fully off when it should, put a standard bulb into one side of the light fitting and now the led on the other side goes fully off when it should, strange,
would better quality led bulbs work any better as they should

Yes because the bulb comes on with the LED, therefore loading the circuit enough to turn off fully.
If you had the mind you could spend more on the same problem, or try a resistor in series with the LED. Only disadvantage the ON brightness will be compromised by the series resistor.
Resistor value will have to be determined by trial and error, something around 500 Ohms to start with.

Or even take them back to the shop, they might be able to help?

This is one of the problems with LED replacements - they just don't use enough current to turn the timer off.
Another issue is replacing the direction indicator lamps with LEDS - often the reduction in current doesn't allow them to flash.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back