Interior Satin Paint - to go water-based or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will shortly be going through the house re-doing the woodwork. Most will be new wood which I will obviously prepare properly. Before the EU change the spec of oil based paints I promised never to use water-based wood paints about 10 years ago after deciding it was rubbish. BUT due to the yellowing issues with the latest crop of oil based paints I'm tempted to try again with water based. Anyone got any recommendations of a good water based paint? (or a non-yellowing oil based!)

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I can't stand acrylic wood paints, nothing but hassle. if you want something to be oil and stay white try enamel paints, or order paint from a firm local to me called Dacrylate, their oil based paints are great and stay white really well. They are experts in acrylic paints too so you'll get some good advice.

Dulux trade, QD satin wood is a great product. Touch dry in half an hour and re coat able in less than two hours.

I've used Leyland trade undercoat/primer which I find easy to apply and gives a great base for overcoats. I've just finished using Johnstones quick dry gloss, bought for £5 from Asda and find it very good. No its not as good a finish as oil based but I would say it's 3/4 there. The reason, as you say, I went for water based is the lack of yellowing. To say that water based paint is nothing but hassle is being short sighted. True, it's not as easy to apply, in fact, I had to dip my brush into water each time to stop it drying too quickly and help with flow and even then cutting in was difficult but that's nothing compared to the hassle of having to redo everything 6 months down the line.

It's taken longer and a bit of practice but the peace of mind of knowing that when it's done, it's done, is worth it.

Sponsored Links
Has the yellowing issue not been fixed now? I thought that was a problem years ago when the silly EU rules were first applied?

Used I think it was Crown water based stuff. May be wrong but I'm fairly sure it was Crown.

Terrible stuff.

Then I've used the Johnstones Aqua primer/undercoat & gloss ... Great stuff. I'm a novice & found it very easy to work with.

For where I wanted a satin look I used Sikkens Satura Rubbol BL (or whatever it's crazy name is). Costly stuff but again easy to use & gives a nice finish.

After a bit of research it does appear the yellowing issue has improved since I last bought some satin paint, so I have gone with oil based dulux trade in the end. I'm happy with the application and the finish, we'll see how the yellowing goes.

Oil based paint is far more resilient to knocks etc. than water based. However yellowing is a problem in areas that are not exposed to much sunlight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back