interior wall load bearing (stairs)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am hoping for some advice please...

I am doing up a small terrace house and was hoping to bend your ears, downstairs there is a living room and a small kitchen with stairs dividing the two.

What i would like to know is if the wall (with the visible brick) separating the stairs and the kitchen a load bearing wall... there is a wall above it and the wall on the left of the stairs is much thicker? would like to knock it down so you can see the stairs from the kitchen an make it a little bigger...

Any advice is welcome just thought I would ask you guys before getting someone out to look at it.

Sponsored Links
Its not clear from your description but its likely your proposed plans will not comply with Building Regulations as you will not have a separate means of escape from the rooms upstairs. That is, if there was a fire in the kitchen at night, smoke would flood upstairs and into the hallway leaving no way to escape the fire from the upstairs rooms except through the windows.

freddymercurystwin thanks for the advice... all in all not a good idea then.

I know my 2 next door neighbours have done it... but the work had been carried out before they bought the properties.

don't fancy climbing out the windows if there is a fire doubt my gut would fit : )

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back