Is brick pillar load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

The kitchen and dining room in my 1987-build house are essentially one big room divided by the kitchen wall units/breakfast bar and a brick pillar that supports one end of the wall units referred to.

Ideally I would like to remove this brick pillar but would like some advice on whether this is load-bearing. A guy down the road in the same style house as us removed his recently, apparently without any problem and reckons it was just decorative and for supporting the adjacent wall units. (the former fireplace was also constructed from the same style decorative brick as the pillar).

I have removed some of the plasterboard ceiling to look at the layout of the joists and they are shown in the attached rough sketch. (Black lines are joists, orange are brick load-bearing walls). All joists are 8 inches deep with a breadth of 4 inches. There are two joists side by side that seemingly run on top of the brick pillar although only the one nearest the stair opening actually seems to be making contact with the top of the pillar.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

Mike

View media item 8790

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't expect it to be loadbearing with those spans and joist sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back