Intermitent Gainsborough 9.5 electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a gainsborough 9.5 select satin chrome that has started working very intermittently.
When I press the on switch the light and shower fail to come on line.
I know power is to the unit as if I manually press the bottom of the solenoid and water comes out of the shower head the water is warm.
Is there anyway I can tell if it is either a dodgy switch on the front of the unit or a dodgy solenoid?
I also wonder if there is anyway I can get a replacement solenoid/switch on their own rather than having to buy the whole back unit/ front cover.
Apologises if this is an obvious one to fix as I have very limited experience in this field.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply mike 2007.
The shower unit I have is actually the 9.5 not 8.5 that you have posted a link to as this has a different 'engine'. What I need to know is, that is it possible to obtain individual components for the shower 'Engine' or do you have to buy the complete assy, which is quite expensive if only a minor component needs replacement.
After further fault diagnosis the shower will run for a short period then turns itself off. Then once its turned itself off , you can press the front button and nothing will happen.
I have tried this at all temperature settings, with the coolest allowing the shower to work longer(5 secs max)- does this point to some sort of thermal cut -out device?
The shower is just over two years old.
Any ideas /suggestions would be most appreciated.

a tco will not shut a shower down only the heating elements.
it will still allow water to pass but will be cold.
the only part you can buy apart from a engine is the outlet pipe with tco.
if you do change the whole shower, buy a better shower next time not a gainsborough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Seco, I figured that maybe I could only only get the engine as has proved the case but as very little experience in plumbing I hoped somebody may have an alternative idea to source sub-components.

As for Softus , I had already looked at that link but was after alternative ideas.With your number of earlier posts hopefully your suggestions were more helpful than useless to other users -I doubt it!

I had already looked at that link but was after alternative ideas.
That's highly unlikely, because you wouldn't have replied in the way that you did.

If any plumber wanted other Gainsborough shower components then they would call the manufacturer and ask, so when you've finished your pathetic attempt to be disparaging that I suggest you do that.

Thanks softus for your help.
Have already tried calling them, only available monday through to Friday, hence trying this forum . Will try them tommorow.
Thaks again
Cock!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back