Gainsborough Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a Gainsborough electric shower, model 8580 (I think). It's only putting out cold water. The electrics supply to the shower is o/k. When I took the cover off, there's a small plunger connected to a spring. When this plunger is pressed down manually the water is hot when the "on" button is pressed, but when you press the button to switch off the shower, the water is cold next time it's switched on. Is this plunger a thermostat control ? or could it be a water pressure problem ?

Sponsored Links
that model number don't make any sense.
have another look on the label inside.

From memory this device is to prevent operation with the front cover off to stop you from getting a deadly belt!

Pete

Thanks for your replies, the model number was on a small oval plate on the front of the unit, which covers the screw to remove the cover. I'll have another look tomorrow. If it was a device to prevent the unit from operating with the cover off, why would it be hot when the plunger is pressed manually, but cold with the cover on ? I appreciate that you need more specific information, so as I say, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the solenoid/plunger is the defective item.
As the plunger is pushed down it will engage the electric supply which
is then sent to the element which heats the water up.

unfortuantely the Gainsborough 850 is a discontinued model.It came in two variants 7.2kw & 8.5kw.The original makers of the product was a company called Heat Team who may be able to offer you a replacement part (tel no 08448 711 535).

The best solution however would be to replace the product.The Gainsborough Stanza has the same plumbing & electrical connections and can be installed without modification.The Stanza comes in two variants (8.5kw & 9.5kw).It would be best to stick to the 8.5kw as the electrical supply to your current shower will either be a 4mm or 6mm cable.

I hope that this info helps.

Mike
Gainsborough Showers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back