Looking for Gary Mo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a reply to someone's question about their Gainsborough 8.5e not heating up,
Gary Mo noted the following observation:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:33 pm

I’m only getting cold water from my shower?

* Is the power turned on?
* Is the dynamic water pressure high enough? If there is not a high enough water pressure running through the shower when its operating the heater elements will not be switched on. This prevents the unit burning out. If you have enough pressure the small white plunger between the black heater unit and the electrical connectors will drop down.

It is the bit about the white plunger dropping down that interests me, I have the same heating problem, water suddenly went cold, no drop of pressure that we know of, the pressure is still really good and i observe that the white plunger Gary mentions is still in the "up" position, I manually popped it down with a screwdriver whilst powering the shower up and the water heated immediately, SO: what is the cause for the plunger to stay in the up position which does not allow the water to heat ( apart from low pressure which i do not have) Is there a way of replacing or fixing this plunger so it stays in the down position and allows the water to heat or do i need to replace the whole shower??
Any suggestions or help would be hugely appreciated, i really don't want to be without our shower nor have to replace it totally, it's not the cost of a new one, more the plumbing hassle etc.[/u][/b]

Sponsored Links
Plunger jammed maybe. You could try downloading manufacturers instructions for your particular shower and see if its a serviceable part and maybe ring them see if part still available. I have never repaired an electric shower just normally swap them out.

Plunger jammed maybe. You could try downloading manufacturers instructions for your particular shower and see if its a serviceable part and maybe ring them see if part still available. I have never repaired an electric shower just normally swap them out.

I will try the supplier, i doubt it is jammed though as i made several gentle pushes on it with the tip of a driver and it moves up and down freely.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back