Gainsborough shower not heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am getting no hot water from a gainsborough 9.5 electric shower in a flat, I tested it in another flat with a seperate water supply and it works fine there !

Im thinking that points to low water pressure ?
is that correct ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
More likely to be flow rate.
Check MI's then test flow rate from outlet in flat 1 to see if it meets requirements of shower unit.

Thanks, sorry what are Mi s and how do I check flow rate please ?

what would cause a low flow rate ?

The shower has been working in there for years if that makes any difference ?
thanks again for your help

MI's are manufacturers instructions.
They will tell you the minimum flow rate required and then you just use a measuring jug over a set time to calculate the litres per minute out of the pipe.

If it's been working for years then more likely the unit has had it!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, Would it need to be from the shower pipe or can I do it from a tap ?

It must be a problem in that flat as the same unit works when put in a different flat.

Is it possible the shower head can affect the flow and stop it working ?
the MI says it only works with their head.

Is it possible the shower head can affect the flow and stop it working ?
the MI says it only works with their head.

Try removing the head.

If the flow is less in that flat, it could be a stop tap, or isolation valve which is not fully open. Is the flat it works in, perhaps on a lower floor than the one where it doesn't work?

Thanks, Ill try that, they are both on the same floor

What is the model / name of the Gainsborough shower ?
When shower is run on cold only ,to give maximum flow ,what is the flow like at shower head ,should be quite a strong flow ?
I suspect it's an electric supply issue ,do you have a multimeter?

image.jpg
What is the model / name of the Gainsborough shower ?
When shower is run on cold only ,to give maximum flow ,what is the flow like at shower head ,should be quite a strong flow ?
I suspect it's an electric supply issue ,do you have a multimeter?
Hi, its 9.5kw I think the model is “e”
I have tested there is power to the shower, although the isolator switch feels a bit dodgy.

Measuring the voltage between live and neutral at the showers terminal block what was the voltage reading?

Measuring the voltage between live and neutral at the showers terminal block what was the voltage reading?
To be honest I only used a pen type voltage detector to check it was live, Ill get a multimeter tomorrow, I assume I should get 220-240 v ?
thanks

Unfortunately they do not tell you if the neutral is ok ,or what the voltage actually is. Yes use a multimeter.
By the way Have no idea what that model is ,pic isn't clear.
Yes 230/240 volts is what you should get.

Also I noticed the plunger stays down on the other flat
but in that one plunger goes down cold when switched on stays down when turned to hot (but no hot water) then comes back up when turned to cold again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back