Intermittent bad smell from bathroom and adjoining cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can offer some advice. I live in a terraced ground floor flat (one double upper property above), built pre-1900. Over the last few months there has been a bad smell which seems to be emanating from a hall cupboard which backs onto our internal bathroom with the toilet on the adjoining wall. This cupboard houses the hot water tank and several other pipes (at least one cold) but I'm not sure where these come from. The smell is also evident in the bathroom and is a sharp, bitter sort of smell not an obvious 'rotten eggs' drain smell.

The smell does not appear with any rhyme or reason, sometimes it's every day, other times we can go for several days with no smells. Also, it can disappear within half an hour as last night and then reappear later on in the evening. I work so am not sure if there are smells during the day. There appears to be no blockage in the sinks, toilet or bath and I've been regularly flushing with soda crystals...

Sponsored Links
I believe renting "10 Rillington Place" from your local Blockbusters may explain it.

Sponsored Links
I`d suggest checking that the traps under sinks and washing machine wastes are full of water.do this by putting sommat like a dry straw down the plughole.like a dipstick on a car :idea: The waterseals can sometimes get pulled out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back