Intermittent boiler ignition - is my controller knackered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I'm a newbie that's only just discovered this forum and it looks pretty damn useful!

I have a problem that I'm sure someone here can help with. I've just moved home and found that the boiler, a Barlo Balmoral 45F, is a bit touch and go. Basically it's on a Honeywell timer/controller that is set to heat the water at 6am for two hours and again later in the afternoon. For the last two mornings my wife and I have had cold showers 'cos there's no hot water. If I put the controller to 'constant' the boiler NEVER ignites. If it's set to 'once' or 'twice' it sometimes lights automatically when it's supposed to, otherwise we have to manually light the boiler by pressing/holding the button beneath the boiler, and if we're lucky it ignites. :confused: Oh, the peso can be heard clicking so I'm presuming that it's working ok.

I'm more used to combi boilers but I presume the mechanics of lighting gas is the same for any boiler. Does my problem lean toward the controller more than the boiler?

I really can't afford to get someone in just after moving so please, if anyone can help me fix this myself I will be over the moon! ;)

Sponsored Links
BUMP...please help...wife angry with cold showers....

Well, I've sorted the problem out now so it doesn't matter that nobody replied. :cry:

For those who have similar problems, check the valve motor head is working. I replaced it and boiler lights every time now.

:cool: Rob.

For the last two mornings my wife and I have had cold showers 'cos there's no hot water.

Haven't you got an immersion heater?

Sponsored Links
No immersion heater here matey! Have to make sure there's plenty on water in the tank before bathing kids etc. Going to fit an electric power shower b4 winter starts tho. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back