intermittent hot water Ideal Boiler C80FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Ideal Boiler C80FF"

We have intermittent hot water. It runs hot for a few minutes, then the boiler clicks off. Then after 5 minutes of running cold the boiler kicks in and it runs hot again. Then it clicks off after another 2 mins. And so on. Very annoying when running a bath or the shower.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sludge in secondaryheat exchanger. Very common topic!

Right, looking at the manual that does look DIYable- few screws to remove and replace it- no need to touch gas. Is this correct? If so I'll give it a go.

Or is it cleanable? If so do I just flush it through with water?

try to clean with water first. if it requires something more aggressive see your local plumbers merchant to what they have got available.

Sponsored Links
Well, all done. Took less than an hour top get the exchanger out, easy to do.

I ran some fernox sludge removing stuff through it but I think it is still sludged up in there. Certainly you can here it swishing about in there when you shake it still.

Replaced it and it is better- longer intervals between it switching off. But I suppose a new one is the only real solution.

Best price online is around £90- is this about right for one?

Thanks for all the help so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back