1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal C80FF problem: heating always on

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by tadas, 25 Mar 2017.

1. tadas

tadas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello all,

Boiler is in "hot water only" mode but still heats radiators. I don't think it's the mode switch since it wasn't in use at all during the time it started. And it also "ignores" the heating setting and seems to go full on.

I found couple other threads mentioning similar problem:
    https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/ideal-c80ff-combi-problem.59793/
    https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...or-something-i-can-remove-to-prevent-c.94461/
    http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/13722-ideal-c80ff-95ff-constantly.html

I found that DHW flow switch mentioned in both threads. It had some condensation, couldn't see inside. Carefully removed the cover. Nipple goes out/in pressing/releasing the switch when I open/close hot water tap. I also used multimeter in continuity mode to check the switch, seems to work OK.

Any other ideas what I could check?

I almost thought to get another main circuit board from ebay (since it's not too expensive) but I feel like it'd be unsafe thing to mess with (since it has pots for "min" and "max" "burner pressure" and I don't think I can adjust without manometer (?)).

Many Thanks

edit: I might be on to something!! Boiler did recover couple times after the problem started 2 days ago. While looking for a fault I left the switch lid removed, it had a chance to dry out and boiler is working again. It could be condensate/humidity inside the switch! Kind of makes sense.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2017
  2. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The pin gland is leaking into the switch box.

You need to replace the gland and dry out the switch.

Tony

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. easyflow

easyflow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would agree, Also this boiler in particular was a budget boiler when first introduced,
    When you open it up it has nice quality brass and honeywell components, not like the tupperware boilers they manufacture these days.
    I look after two of these boilers that are going into their 15th year with just a few minor breakdowns.

5. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They do have good components but the combustion cover is a bit of a bodge.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links