Intermittent odd noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello intellectual Diynot people,

I have this issue with this I’m assuming pump? Which helps the water around my heating system, it can be quiet, but then it’ll go noisy, like the sound of a muffled waterfall? Even noisier when the heating or water have finished heating up? It’s about 10 years old. I’ve altered the red setting, but still the same. I have read somewhere about the tanks in the loft and both have water in, one is orange looking water though. I’ve noticed it red hot at times of noise and warmish when not. Anyone any ideas?

I’ve attached a photo of said pump - do I need a replacement? If yes can I get the same one? Is this something I could do myself?

EDIT: Found this info online http://www.judgeelectrical.co.uk/central-heating/central-heating-pump/central-heating-pump.html which suggests as it’s hot to touch, that it needs replacing. I’ve been looking at pumps, and they mention a head? I’m confused about Which one but be suitable?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• C1465AE9-D333-44A2-B797-72C8A874FE2D.jpeg
    C1465AE9-D333-44A2-B797-72C8A874FE2D.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds like hot water is being vented into the header tank which would give you the noises you describe

You can confirm this for yourself by watching the vent pipe when the heating has shut off , have you noticed any water coming out of the overflow pipes which lead outside?

This is normally caused by a blockage and you will need a plumber to investigate for you as it doesn't sound that you're confident enough to do it yourself?

When was the last time your system had a service?

Not seen any water coming from overflow pipes, would this be all the time or now and again? Boiler last serviced approx 18 months ago,but they’ve never gone to the pump or in the house - boiler is in garage

Sponsored Links
I'm talking about the overflow pipe from the header tank , when the system discards hot water into the header tank it has to go somewhere, you need to watch the vent pipe first to see if hot water is coming out of it , not easy I know as your header tank is in the loft .

With the water being orange it seems to point to corrosion in your pipes which could be causing a blockage.

If I'm correct the blockage needs clearing, a powerflush wouldn't hurt and an inhibitor putting in to prevent further corrison. It sounds like this hasn't been done since it was first installed?

However I'm sat here watching dancing on Ice going off what you have told me, I would recommend a plumber to investigate fully

Many thanks. Do I check the vent pipe whilst it’s makng the noise or at any point whilst it’s on? I don’t know but I remember seeing a bottle of something made by Frenox? Everything was new (new build) so I presume it was done properly?

Whilst it's making the noise , hot water coming out of the vent pipe is more than likely making the noise you describe

Wouldn't bet on it being done properly being a new build , houses are knocked up so quick nowadays quality does tend to suffer

I haven’t managed to get in the loft yet, but hopefully this video may help?

Would a powerflush cause any leaks though? I’m concerned with the pipes being in plastic. I’ve spoken to a diyer at work and he says use x800 chemicals to flush? Any ideas if this would be good to use?

We use x800 at work, haven’t heard of any complaints, or seen any poor results. There’s some on here that say it’s too aggressive, and being new build might only need Sentinel x400, Fernox F3 or equivalent. I haven’t power flushed or been on training for it, so can’t comment on plastic piping.

Maybe a more experienced heating engineer on here can answer that query?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back