pump constantly on even when boiler is off (PICS)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

In my airing cupboard I believe the blue pump looking thing is the water pump? Its the same as this: http://blackmoreit.com/products/app...os-59506180-multihead-g-british-gas-pump.html

On the side there is a slider which i guess means 1, 2, 3, its currently on 3, 1 makes it quieter but what does this actually do?

It seems this is on 24/7 even with the boiler off, is this normal and is this for my central heating?

EDIT: updated title because the problem is about the pump and not the noise

Sponsored Links
It is the pump, the switch is for speed settings, and depends on design of system but it would be unusual for the pump to run 24/7 unless the system is set to run 24hrs....

Pump could be just for central heating or if it's more modern, these systems use pump to heat the radiators and the hot water cylinder.

is there somewhere I can check the running time?

I think its the central heating but it could just be for the whole hot water system.

I've just noticed this because I can hear the humming when I'm in bed, though not so bad but sometimes find it annoying.

Check time clock. Most have a number of settings, On, Twice, Once, Off. If either HW or CH is 'ON' then it is possible this will cause pump to run constantly. If not then could point to an electrical fault somewhere or wrongly wired system.

What boiler do you have? Some control the pump from the boiler.

Sponsored Links
I believe the boiler is a Glowworm ulitmate 30?

using a honeywell C27, the settings if 'OFF' but the pump can still be heard, not really played with the panel yet.
There is no setting on the pump except for the speed settings.

had a look at my parents airing cupboard and when CH or HW is off, the pump is also off. I put CH on and the pump started but theirs is quieter than mine. I can feel the motor working.

So I guess it means something is wrong with my pump, why is it constantly on even with hot water or central heating turned off.

I noticed this because my electric went up from 16 to 23 in 5 days and only the house alarm is on and i know the alarm doesnt take 7KW!

ok i got some pictures to make things clearer.

P1000619Copy.jpg

P1000620Copy.jpg

P1000621Copy.jpg

P1000622Copy.jpg

P1000623Copy.jpg

P1000633Copy.jpg

P1000634Copy.jpg

P1000636Copy.jpg

Currently the blue pump is on and I cant see anyway of turning it off. If I change the speed half way, the pump stops but there is a faint humming sound which I think is the pump as putting my ear on it I can feel it. I set it to the lowest setting for now.

The HW and CH is off, i cant locate any 'over run' timer, but its been running more than 24 hours.

I'm getting sick of having water problems, is there any qualified pros willing to give me a quote to inspect, repair and explain my water system to me? I live in the SE28 London Area.

could the cylinder stat be set wrong or possibly faulty?

any ideas guys?

- I think you need an electrician , that would be the first call - then if they find no fault outside the boiler , you`ll need a Gas Safe reg. boiler guy . Just my opinion ;)

True, but I thought I try asking for advise here on the easy stuff, failing that, a pro will need to be called in.

So just to update, there is a post on here by Volvofool who has the same problem as me but he fixed it by setting it correctly. (hope this would be the same for me).

what setting should I put on the boiler, it only has a dial for min to max, water speed setting 1-3 and I have 10 radiators in the house, kitchen being the bigger one (or duel since it has 2 panels).

Maybe its just a settings issue? Will bring my infra red thermometer to test, should i open the CH or HW?

Bit confused, does the pump work for both HW and CH? or just CH only?

Pump runs for heating and hot water. Power for the pump should come from the boiler if wired correctly to provide 'pump over-run'. - (i.e. after the boiler has been on and the hot water or heating demand is satisfied, the boiler continues to power the pump to get rid of any residual heat in the boiler. If the pump went off as soon as the burner went off, the boiler would likely overheat and and cause a lot of stress to the boiler's heat exchanger.)

You really need someone competent with a multimeter to check your system's wired correctly and see if the fault's with the boiler keeping the pump on when it shouldn't.

A gas fitter who's good at breakdowns is what you need rather than an electrician as your first option imho. He'll be able to check the wiring of your system and work on your boiler.

- And get him to get a cover over that terminal strip aswell!!

guess its nothing I can fix then on my own :(

oh, I took the plate off to take a picture, I'll put it back!

Will check the boiler manual. But looking closely at your pics, it would appear the pump is wired to the boiler. If the boiler works the way I remember it working then it might be a PCB failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back