Intermittent Rattling from engine..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nissan Micra 54 plate has a tinny engine rattles intermittently for 2 seconds then stops then repeats steadily. This only happens when the engine has warmed up so could it be coolant related?
I have checke for any loose covers etc. any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The common one on these is the shroud that covers the exhaust manifold corroding and coming loose - maybe you've checked that? I can't really think there's any coolant issue here, but timing chain rustle isn't unknown - especially when the engine is hot.
What do you think - is the noise from the engine, drivers side?
John :)

Hiya Burnerman.. hard to say. I will have to go to work now but will have another look.. cheers mate

Sponsored Links
No need to panic!
Another ticker on these is the air con compressor, if it has one.....I'd be inclined, next time the engine is warm and cooperating to remove the auxiliary belt and then start up for a minute - just to rule things out here. The battery won't be charging or the engine cooling but it'll be fine for a minute.

Timing chain? Horrible job.
Tell me about it, we had a 2003 Micra with only 11k miles on it and the chain had stretched, spoke to folk in the know Nissan wise and it turns out a lot of early Nissan stuff that shared components with Renault had timing chains made of chocolate!! Needless to say we sold it within 1 month!!

Hoping that the rattle is something else....chain replacement is time consuming but it is possible without removing the engine. (Says he who has done only one :eek:)
I'm a bit confused why the noise comes and goes though.

Sponsored Links
Back