Intermittent Shower Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I'm looking for advice as to how I can troubleshoot an intermittent fault...

We have a Aqualisa Digital pumped shower which appears to be connected via a fused switch in the loft on a spur from the immersion heater circuit in a cupboard next to the bathroom. This circuit also appears to power the central heating controls and pump. Periodically the shower will not start when the on button is pressed. This is a relatively new problem on a system which has been installed for a few years.

Turning off/on the fused switch for the shower in the loft restores the shower to working normally until the problem occurs again which may be days later. The same effect is obtained by turning off/on the (more easily accessible) immersion heater circuit RCD in the consumer unit.

The shower manufacturer came and replaced the shower completely about two months ago but the problem has just reoccurred with the new unit. They say that re-powering the unit effectively reboots the control board. Given that it's the same problem on a new shower unit I'm assuming there is an underlying wiring issue on the supply to the shower.

Since the problem is intermittent I'm wondering if the heating or hot water circuit (which are both on timers) are interfering somehow - maybe the problem only occurs when they are in a certain state? I haven't been able to figure out what causes the problem to occur.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Not an expert in this field , but it sounds like there is a problem with internal control memory of the shower being corrupted. Is it possible you could disconnect from the FCU & fit a plug so that you could use an extension lead to run it off a different circuit for a while. this will rule in or out a fault in the electrical supply. You could then consider fitting something like this if the problem is resolved http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/surge-suppressor-units/3115919/?origin=PSF_433037|cav

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back