Altering shower power.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

We are installing a new shower in our bathroom (hot & cold gravity-fed) with a pump that will be fitted in the loft / airing cupboard. The previous shower was a powered shower (white box on the wall, cold water feed only) with its own power supply rated at 45A from consumer unit downstairs.

I have removed the old shower and pulled back the cable into the loft. I would like to terminate this cable with a fused connection unit next to the pump. Am I right in thinking that as long as I fuse down correctly at the point where the cable size changes I can use the old power supply for the new pump? Should I leave the 45A fuse in the Consumer Unit, or should that be changed?

I do not want to pull out the old cable as it would wreck the decoration! Also it appears to be in good condition, and as I am effectively over-speccing for the pump I don't think this should be a problem. Is this correct?

Many thanks. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes you are correct. If the cable is thick you'll need a deep box and an FCU with fuse for whatever the pump needs (probably 3A). Make sure the FCU that u buy will take the big cable into its input terminals.

If the pump manufacturer states it needs an RCD then use an RCD FCU if there isnt one on the circuit already.

There's no point messing around with the fuse in teh consumer unit. leave it as it is.

Thanks Taylortwocities.

I'll go ahead and do that then. Cheers for advice on size of FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back