Intermittent tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a property in France.
When last there about 3 weeks ago we had 1 or 2 times when the electrics tripped out,nothing obvious, lights were on radio etc but nothing being switched on to coincide with the trip.I reset the trip and everything was fine.The mains board is on the landing.
My question is when I hopefully get the problem sorted out on my next time out there (about 10 days time). Is it possible to have a
reset button fitted to the outside of the house? The reason is I have electric shutters on all doors operated by a key, ie.no power no entry.Yesterday I had arranged for a plumber to call using keys left with a neighbour, only the mains had tripped and they couldn't get in.I do have keys which will let me in through a bedroom shutter and then a French window but they were here in the Uk.I have now posted them to my neighbour, but it would be better if I had an outside reset button if it happens again. Is it possible? Please forgive my electrical terminology.
The only items left on were an outside light with motion sensor and 2 fridges inside.

Sponsored Links
we had 1 or 2 times when the electrics tripped out,nothing obvious, lights were on radio etc but nothing being switched on to coincide with the trip.I reset the trip and everything was fine..

Here we go again.

What exactly is it that "trips"

is it a contact breaker or an RCD?
They do different jobs and there are different reasons for the device to switch off.

Tell us what is written on the device that trips. However, you may be better posting on the Electrics Outside the UK forum if its in French.

Good moaning!

we had 1 or 2 times when the electrics tripped out,nothing obvious, lights were on radio etc but nothing being switched on to coincide with the trip.I reset the trip and everything was fine..

Here we go again.

What exactly is it that "trips"

is it a contact breaker or an RCD?
They do different jobs and there are different reasons for the device to switch off.

Tell us what is written on the device that trips. However, you may be better posting on the Electrics Outside the UK forum if its in French.

Good moaning!

I did say excuse my terminology.
If I knew the difference I wouldn't be asking.
If you read the post I said I would be getting it fixed when I go back!!
The question was "is it possible to get a reset button fitted outside?
Thanks for your help???
I take it you have had a bad day.(here we go again) :LOL:

Depending on what has tripped will determine if you can have a remote reset button.

Sounds as if you have an RCD upfront on all of your electrics in which case a remote reset button (if do-able) would be very dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Depending on what has tripped will determine if you can have a remote reset button.

Sounds as if you have an RCD upfront on all of your electrics in which case a remote reset button (if do-able) would be very dangerous.

Thanks John
I'm obviously not near the RCD, but from memory it is at the top of the fuse board,when manually pushed it cuts the power to everything.

Ok so if it is one RCD feeding everything then it may be advisable to have your conumer unit changed to something that will be a bit more versatile under fault conditions, for a start the power to the electric gates should be on an individual RCD by the seems of things. Problem in france is that they do things a little different there than here and their equipment is not exactly the same.

Having the only entry dependant on electrical power being present is not sensible as you have found out. What do you do if you arrive and there is a general power cut in the area ?

If you must have that set up then fit a removable handle or similar mechanical method to open at least one of the shutters.

Alternately fit one shutter with a 12 volt motor that operates from a mains to 12volt DC power pack but in power failure emergency can be operated by plugging jump leads from a car battery into a socket to power the motor. Key switch still effective.

Having the only entry dependant on electrical power being present is not sensible as you have found out. What do you do if you arrive and there is a general power cut in the area ?

If you must have that set up then fit a removable handle or similar mechanical method to open at least one of the shutters.

Alternately fit one shutter with a 12 volt motor that operates from a mains to 12volt DC power pack but in power failure emergency can be operated by plugging jump leads from a car battery into a socket to power the motor. Key switch still effective.

Thanks Bernard.
I can gain access via a ground floor bedroom using keys for the shutter and then French window,The electrics are amazing,there is even a socket under the bathroom sink and another one 2 feet above the wc.

Rayg, i had a similar problem with my place in France. Are you on mains sewerage or a tank and if a tank does it have a pump. My problem was the pump. If it rained whilst we wernt there the one tank would get to the required level and the pump would operate but then trip the supply. Fortunately it was designed to come on whilst still plenty of capacity in the main tank so we didnt find ourselves up to our necks in the smelly stuff.

Rayg, i had a similar problem with my place in France. Are you on mains sewerage or a tank and if a tank does it have a pump. My problem was the pump. If it rained whilst we wernt there the one tank would get to the required level and the pump would operate but then trip the supply. Fortunately it was designed to come on whilst still plenty of capacity in the main tank so we didnt find ourselves up to our necks in the smelly stuff.

Many thanks.
We do have a septic tank-I will have it checked out when I am over next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back