Intermittent Earth Trips

I'm still concerned to know why he's suddenly gone from a history of no trips to daily events...

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
I'm still concerned to know why he's suddenly gone from a history of no trips to daily events...

So am I, nothing has changed other than Transco swapped the gas meter. 18 hours later the power trips on an earth fault and now seems to be tripping every 30 hours or so.

I've turned the fridge and freezer off, both of which were the only things running on every occasion the power has tripped. Turned each one back on individually causing them to start running, but neither have caused a trip.

Keith

intermittant faults are a devil

all i can suggest is

1: get your istallation fully tested including a PAT test of all appliances and a ramp test of the RCD
2: if that doesn't find anything get the installation split into multiple seperate RCDs (this will be expensive though)

Hello JohnD, etc , I was just wondering if you think that a cooker switch with a socket outlet should or should not be put on the rcd side of the c/u.? {Because of the outlet does that not mean it needs the .4 disconnection time.} I am curious as have had different interpretations on this, I would like your opinion please. Ta.

Sponsored Links
If you have other sockets next to the external doors, then I think it would be reasonable to say the cooker socket won't be used for equipment outside. However you might use it for a metal kettle full of water while you're holding the tap with wet hands, which I like to see on an RCD socket.

My preference is to have cooker switches without sockets, as I think they encourage people to plug things in and drape the flex over the hob. electric cookers tend to leak a bit as they get old.

Ok, after a great deal of patience (something that I am not reknown for when things aren't working how they should) and getting up at 3:30am for the last two mornings to reset the RCD. I have narrowed the earth trips down to the immersion heater that is on an Economy 7 timer. It seems to be tripping the RCD when it turns itself off.

My next question, is....

Do I need an electrician to test the two elements that are in the hot water tank or just get a plumber to replace either or both of them?

Thanks for all your advice.

Keith

Confirm your diagnosis by turning off the supply to the immersion heaters.

If that turns out to be the trouble, it may not be worth paying an electrician to test them, if he's probably just going to tell you to get a plumber in. Go straight to the plumber and have them both done to save another call later.

Tell the plumber you want resistant immersion heaters (there are different qualities depending on whether you have hard or soft water which attacks them in different ways. Some are Incaloy (sp?) sheathed and more resistant but more expensive. An experienced local plumber will know what sort of water you have in your area and what is the best immersion to resist it.

I suppose there is a faint chance that there is some other problem causing it, but immersion heaters are a common cause.
Consider asking an electrician to have the immersion heaters moved off the RCD side of your consumer unit. Immersion heaters do often get like that with age.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back