Internal Alarm PIR. What is this wiring!

W

walkern

Hello,
I've went to replace a PIR but found this wiring setup. Can somebody help explain.

From what I can see in the pir:

Red is 12v (I normally use white)
Black is 0v (I normally use green)
White is alarm 1 (I normally use red/black)
Green is on tamper 1 (I normally use blue/yellow)

then it goes like:
there are two resisters:
1. A resister wired from alarm 1 (with white wire) to alarm 2
2. Another resister wired from alarm 2 to tamper 2

Searching I think this is to do with FSL wiring (which I guess this alarm must be) rather than CCL?

So I've bought a texecom reflex, will this have the resisters built in so I can simply drop the resisters and wire it FSL with two to 12/0v, leaving one wire in alarm and one in tamper? But looking at the photo the two resisters are the same impedance not two different values as I'm finding on the internet.

Thanks. Picture should be below/attached.

If this is the case, what's the difference between FSL and CCL alarms? Seems like more hard work with the FSL way.

Sponsored Links
Yes end of line wiring is it a galaxy ? Look like 1k 1k just rewire as before as I don't think the reflex will have resistors unless they have redesigned them .

Yes, that's what it was. Knowing nothing about these things I left it off figuring if it was built in it might break putting them in. I was getting a tamper error and a 'master reset required'. So I figured it wanted a master key to reset the tamper.

After random googling we got a code to work, which still didn't do much, then we changed the user to level 3 and we got access to all the menus.

So I then put the resisters back in and it worked :)

I'm still confused by how it all works as wiring my own alarm system I just did the more 'normal' 6 wire. I didn't want to put the resisters back because they were both the same and websites said two different values were required.

Different manufacturers use different resistor values. The Galaxy panels usually use 1k for both resistors. The resistor between the tamper and alarm terminals (usually known as the tamper resistor) is always in circuit. The other resistor (known as the alarm resistor) is shorted out by the alarm contact in the pir. This means that the panel normally sees just 1k. When the pir detects something, the alarm contacts open and the panel sees both resistors (i.e. 1k+1k=2k). If the pir's cover is opened or the cable is cut, the panel will see an open circuit and if the cable is shorted, it will see a short. Both these conditions are tampers.

Using FSL rather than CCL means that it is not possible to tamper with the cable and defeat the detector. Also, it uses fewer wires which saves on cabling cost or allows for spare cores. Whilst it is a bit of a faff, it is a much better method than CCL.

These days, it is possible to buy detectors and contacts with resistors built it. Often, they have lots of different values and you cut links or fit jumpers to select the appropriate values for the panel.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back