Internal alterations in loft room

Elk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about doing some work in what would be the loft space of my house and have heard contradictory things about regs... any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

I've got what I believe to be an original attic room in my 1905 terrace - the materials are of the right age and identical to the rest of the house. Looking at the rest of the row, I believe the rear dormer to also be original or renewed to the same spec. There's a door at the bottom of the stairs immediately adjacent to the bottom step. At the top of the stairs is a small landing separated from the main room by a stud wall, and with a door leading into the attic room. The front 4m of so of the attic is separated off by a stud wall and is a typical loft space with no floorboards or plaster etc. There's also a strange 2m square space behind the stairs only accessible by a ladder that is nonetheless floorboarded.

Am I allowed to knock out the stud walls in the attic and make it into one big room? (There's nothing supporting the roof in these walls as far as I can tell)
Can I install a velux window in the front of the roof? (Overlooking the highway and a small wooded area - nearby houses have them)
Do I need to move the door at the foot of the stairs away from the staircase to comply with fire regs? (This is possible)
Will I need a buildings inspector for any of this?

I'm planning to hopefully sell on in five years or so.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back