Adding New Room to Existing Room-in-Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house, and all the houses on my street, were built before 1900 and included a room-in-roof, with stairs and a bay window.

We've just recently ripped out the old lath and plaster (Jesus wept...what a mess that made), insulated and are finishing up the boarding.

The room originally included a storage area, behind a stud wall that had no windows. We've moved the stud wall and the new room will not be habitable but I'm wondering if we were to make it into a bedroom/bathroom, would any additional work be required?

The neighbour put some skylights into their 'storage area' and added a door that opened from the top of the stairs (rather than the existing bedroom) but explained they had to add a fire break and fire doors for this to qualify as a fourth bedroom.

Assume we'd have to do something similar?

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily. It depends on what extra risk you are introducing.

By adding a room, an inspector would probably conclude that there was a defacto increase in risk.
Even if the new (additional) room was not regarded as habitable by the OP, Part B of the regs would apply as the floor would be more than 4.5m above ground level. Hence the need for suitable means of escape/detection.
If it was to be only a bathroom entered from the existing room, no additional fire safety measures required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back