Internal bend in cable tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the measurements required for hand cutting/ forming an internal 90 in a medium duty cable tray?
Its years since i last did this and would like to do some in a storage cabin in work. I know there is a requirement for pre formed stuff these days but i would like to do it old school!
Im looking for the measurements to mark it out for v cutting the return edges with a hacksaw
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're doing it with one fold then you need a 90˚ cut out - so that's 45˚ either side of square. If you do it in two folds then it's 45˚ per fold (22.5˚ either side of square).

Thanks for that, i should have clarified i was looking for how to do the curved 90 with multiple cuts in the return edge

Well to a point it's a matter of dividing 90˚ by the number of cuts. Ie, 3x 30˚, 6x 15˚, 9x 10˚. In each case, divide that by two and cut either side of a perpendicular - so 3x 30˚ would mean cutting 15˚ either side of a perpendicular.
As the cuts get smaller, the size (thickness) of your cutting blade becomes a consideration as well.

As for where to start cutting in relation to where the bend ends up, I don't have any rules for that. But with a large number of cuts so you approximate a 1/4 circle, the tray making up that 1/4 circle will be approximately pi * r/2 where pi is 3.14, and r is the radius of the circle - so about 1.6 * r

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back