Internal Bi-fold door fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently bought a set of wooden bifold doors I would like to use to separate my lounge from the dining area. I will be building a stud wall, but have noticed that the ceiling beams are running parallel with where the doors will be hung. Ive not actually checked in the loft yet to see if Im lucky and right on a beam, but if not, how am I best to fix the lintel to the ceiling for the doors to be hung from?

Sponsored Links
Noggins between the joists, and screw up into them.
I have recently made a similar wall, to hang the doors of a built in wardrobe.
With suitably sized studs, the wall was strong enough to be self-supporting; requiring only a couple of screws into the noggins (also bearing in mind that the loft joist may not be very big at all!).

Sponsored Links
Have a look above every other door frame in your house. Like that.

Something like this (just the first pic I could find - I'm not suggesting it's best practice!)
shed-plans-10x12-gambrel-shed-front-wall-frame-2_1.png
The distance between the beams decreases depending on the height of the doors.
20200805_163338.jpg

Ah I see what you mean now. Yeh thats how I did the last door way I done but it was running along a beam in the loft also. I forgot about noggins too haha. Oh well Ill be fine

For my last wall/doorway I used 3 x 2 (75mm x 63mm). Will this be suitable for this one as the doors are quite a bit heavier?

When I fitted mine I doubled up 47x175 coach screwed together as the header.

I’ve a 5 sash door and was surprised how heavy they are.

Not looked in the loft yet but ive poked a thin screwdriver through the ceiling along the line every 3” or so where the doors will be hung but I cant find a noggin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back