External bi fold flush with floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Whenever I've seen those flash adverts for bi fold doors they show the internal floor level, bi fold door and external ground level all being equal. So in other words it is one level from inside the house to outside.

Having read up a little I see there is a (now obvious) issue with achieving weather/damp tightness.

At the moment I have french doors which have a frame ridge sticking proud of my internal floor and then the patio floor outside is lower. What I'd like to do is replace these with bifolds that run flush with my internal floor and then bring the level of the patio up with decking, such that the whole thing is one level.

Can anybody tell me how it is done?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
They (bi-fold) usually sit half a course lower than conventional openings.

The last one we did we removed two courses of bricks below dpc then put a snap header back in its place thus creating a 40mm drop from floor or dpc level.

You need to take into account the 'finished' floor level i.e. this must include floor finishes also - tiles, carpet, laminate etc.

Thanks Nosey.

I'll post a pic of the issue when I get home today. I'd appreciate your further thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Hi

Here are pics from the outside and inside. Is it possible to install the bi folding doors with decking outside such that inside and outside are all at one level without a ridge?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The pictures you have been looking at might have been internal bi-folds because the exterior ones I have seen have a sloping cill to direct the water away from the house. Another thing to consider if you go as low as you are thinking is all the muck will end up in the guide channel for the doors, I don't think it is possible to get it completely level but you should get close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back