Internal brick/block wall, safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following water damage to the plaster/render in one of the rooms in my 1930's (with 1980's lash-up additiions) bungalow I have stripped the plaster and render from the wall to find that there was once a door in this wall right at the end of the wall (smack bang in the corner of the room). The orignal doorway hole was filled in with brick and block, the orignal wall was just brick.

The wall is about 2.3m high and about 3m long. The bricks and blocks seems to have been simply fitted directly into the hole without any 'toothing in' to the existing brickwork on either side of the hole. That said there might be a starter bar in there somewhere but without ripping bricks/blocks out I can't tell. Is there a product I can retrofit to ensure that the newer brick/block in the old doorway is tied to the existing wall and the wall running at right angles to it? Note that there is a noticable crack running at exactly the position of the join between the old and new through the plaster on the other side of the wall.

In addtion to the above the top of the wall isnt connected to anything. The floor joists in the loft conversion above run parallel to the wall (no load on the wall). Seems a bit dodgy? I thought this should be strapped to something?

Steve

Sponsored Links
You are worrying unduly.
Would assure you that after 30 odd years, then no way is the infill going to run down the road one night.
The crack in all probability is because two different materials have been used, brick and block.
The crack came and went many moons ago.
For all you know, the old bricklayer may have driven some100mm cut nails into a few of the bed joints down each jamb.
When plastering run 100mm strip coil mesh down the crack.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back