internal corrosion in boiler normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have having trouble with my combi boiler recently. It has been leaking intermittently, pressure all over the place and sometimes water is heated but no central heating.

Was hoping to get it fixed.

Had an engineer look at it. He ran a few checks and then took the front off for inspection .He found the top section of the boiler was significantly corroded inside. He has said that this is very dangerous and the boiler needs to be replaced.

Is corrosion normal within a boiler? Is the engineer correct?

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Seriously :?: :rolleyes:

Let me paraphrase:

This thing you can't see looks a a bit iffy. Is it normal? A qualified professional you and I don't know says it is but I don't believe him. Can you tell me if this thing you haven't seen but is rusting, is ok, or is it fooked.

Now, where's my crystal ball?

Ouch Dan! That sounds a little harsh the guy is new and only wants to know if what the engineer says is likely to be true and not just wanting to replace the boiler at great expense!

diyclown - is this a joke? If serious just tell us what the boiler make and model is and how old it is. I am sure some experts in here may be able give you an idea if the problem you describe is likely given the age and model.

Ouch Dan! That sounds a little harsh the guy is new and only wants to know if what the engineer says is likely to be true and not just wanting to replace the boiler at great expense!

diyclown - is this a joke? If serious just tell us what the boiler make and model is and how old it is. I am sure some experts in here may be able give you an idea if the problem you describe is likely given the age and model.

Hi Blagard,

It's nice to get one helpful response. I can assure you it is not a joke.
Like you said I just want to know if internal rusting is par for the course on older boilers or really a cause for concern. I don't want to have to fork out thousands for a new one if I don't have to.

The model is a Vokera Linea 24.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It is rare to see a Linear very seriously corroded.

They are usually what I call totally repairable.

A replacement good boiler should be less that £2000 and not "thousands"

Tony

You can buy the combustion chamber. Hood and baffles for a linea and costs about 60-70 pound. Get somebody who will replace the parts it may cost a couple of hundred pound. Better than 2 grand. As Agile put the linea is a very repairable boiler.

Nath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back