Internal door latch suggestions

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old doors without a latch. Previously it hah one of those ball pressure latches (no idea what they're called!), but I'm not sure that would work here because of gap? Any suggestions welcome, totally new to doors!
IMG_20190129_164644862.jpg

IMG_20190129_164653887.jpg

Sponsored Links
Replace the old rim lock with a new one?
Rim Lock 001_01.jpg

Or maybe find replacement on a car boot sale or in an antique shop?

Problem is there's no matching keep on the door casing. I see a lot of "antique" rim locks around but very few ever seem to have their keeps

Sponsored Links
It has one if these ball things on already, happy to use that, just need a new frame part, and i guess to pad it out a bit?
IMG_20190130_145756631.jpg

or replace with one of these? maybe adjustable enough to cover the gap?

Look what's in my son's bedroom.... Maybe i could use that....

IMG_20190130_154737552.jpg

A new, pressed steel lock, including keep, is not expensive. It's not a remotely secure lock, though.

If you want a separate keep, they often turn up on fleabay, usually inaccurately described as cast iron.

The thing jonbey shows is called a Roll Latch, Bail or Bale Latch down my way. You can screw the roller in and out to vary the spring pressure. If it goes too deep into the keep, you can't open the door. Note jonbey's pic shows a shallow recess in the keep to avoid that.

A Ball latch doesn't have the adjustable roller.

Last edited:
Maybe i should get a strip of wood cut to close that gap. It's 10mm at the top, narrowing to 9mm art the bottom. Maybe ii could get a bit cut to 7mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back