Internal door painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am in need of painting my internal doors. They are currently ‘as new’ amd have therefore not yet been touched.

I ‘think’ I have decided on using Satinwood as opposed to Gloss. However, should I use water based or solvent?

Also, any brand recommendations?

Any help/guidance is very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Water-based: Won't go yellow over time, brush marks slightly more noticeable, dries very quickly. The latter point is a blessing and a curse - you can do 3 coats in a day but if you make any mistakes you cannot rectify them as brushing over even 2 mins after application will make it worse.

Solvent-based: Will go yellow over time, more durable/hard-wearing against knocks, far easier to use and gives you plenty of time to correct any mistakes.

Personally I use water-based because the yellowing drives me up the wall. I tend to use Armstead Quick Dry Satin. Are they panelled or flat doors? Best method IMO is to roll the paint on and lay it off with a brush.

I'm using Johnstones Trade Aqua Guard in satin, brush marks do lay off well. I'm needing to do my doors next, have been thinking of the Two Fussy Blokes rollers for the doors and the same paint.

The Johnstone's is 'open' for long enough to brush out any mistakes and runs and many say it's just as durable as solvent based.

Water-based: Won't go yellow over time, brush marks slightly more noticeable, dries very quickly. The latter point is a blessing and a curse - you can do 3 coats in a day but if you make any mistakes you cannot rectify them as brushing over even 2 mins after application will make it worse.

Solvent-based: Will go yellow over time, more durable/hard-wearing against knocks, far easier to use and gives you plenty of time to correct any mistakes.

Personally I use water-based because the yellowing drives me up the wall. I tend to use Armstead Quick Dry Satin. Are they panelled or flat doors? Best method IMO is to roll the paint on and lay it off with a brush.
Yellowing…….yuk

Less durable…….hmmmmm?

I think Satin wins purely down to the yellowing factor.

They are 6 panelled doors, so I’m guessing brushing will be best?

Thank you for your answer

Sponsored Links
I'm using Johnstones Trade Aqua Guard in satin, brush marks do lay off well. I'm needing to do my doors next, have been thinking of the Two Fussy Blokes rollers for the doors and the same paint.

The Johnstone's is 'open' for long enough to brush out any mistakes and runs and many say it's just as durable as solvent based.
Awesome, thank you

Yellowing…….yuk

Less durable…….hmmmmm?

I think Satin wins purely down to the yellowing factor.

They are 6 panelled doors, so I’m guessing brushing will be best?

Thank you for your answer

The yellowing is down to the oil in the paint, not the finish - this could happen in satin or gloss. With oil/solvent based paints it's happened to me with satin and gloss, but with water base this won't happen at all.

Yellowing with oil based paints is a function of a lack of UV light. Paint the inside of a cupboard with oilbased and it will yellow quickly.

Waterbased finishes will not yellow but cannot stand up to oils. In high traffic areas the oils in people's skin will make the waterbased paint become soft and peel off.

That is what I did, a couple of years ago, after fitting new doors all round. It looks fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back